|50 Ways to Save The Environment|
In Your Home – Conserve Energy
01. Turn off unneeded lights even when leaving a room for a short time.
02. Unplug seldom used appliances.
03. Turn down or shut off your water heater when you will be away for extended periods.
04. Lower the thermostat on your water heater to 45C.
05. Clean or replace air filters on your air conditioning unit at least once a month.
06. Turn off lights, computers and other appliances when not in use.
07. When using an oven, minimize door opening while it is in use; it reduces oven temperature by 25 to 30 degrees every time you open the door.
13. Use cold water instead of warm or hot water when possible.
In Your Home – Reduce Toxicity
14. When no good alternatives exist to a toxic item, find the least amount required for an effective, sanitary result.
15. Use traps instead of rat and mouse poisons and insect killers.
16. Buy the right amount of paint for the job.
In Your Yard
17. Use an electric lawn- mower instead of a gas-powered one.
18. Leave grass clippings on the yard-they decompose and return nutrients to the soil.
19. Use only the required amount of fertilizer.
20. Minimize pesticide use.
2. Water grass early in the morning.
23. Put leaves in a compost heap instead of burning them or throwing them away. Yard debris too large for your compost bin should be taken to a yard-debris recycler.
In Your Office
24. Copy and print on both sides of paper.
25. Reuse items like envelopes, folders and paper clips.
27. Use recycled paper and download paint saving Ecofont
28. Use discarded paper for scrap paper.
29. Encourage your school and/or company to print documents with soy-based inks, which are less toxic.
30. Use a ceramic coffee mug instead of a disposable cup.
Ways To Protect Our Air
31. Recycle printer cartridges.
32. Don't use your wood stove or fireplace when air quality is poor.
33. Shut off electrical equipment in the evening when you leave work.
34. Avoid slow-burning, smoldering fires. They produce the largest amount of pollution.
35. Purchase radial tires and keep them properly inflated for your vehicle.
36. Walk or ride your bike instead of driving, whenever possible.
Ways to Use Less Water
38. Replace old toilets with new ones that use a lot less water.
40. Wash and dry only full loads of laundry and dishes.
Create Less Trash
41. Buy products that you can reuse.
42. Maintain and repair durable products instead of buying new ones.
43. Reuse items like bags and containers when possible.
44. Use cloth napkins instead of paper ones.
45. Use reusable plates and utensils instead of disposable ones.
46. Use reusable containers to store food instead of aluminum foil and cling wrap.
47. Shop with a canvas bag instead of using paper and plastic bags.
48. Buy rechargeable batteries for devices used frequently.
49. Reuse packaging cartons and shipping materials. Old newspapers make great packaging material.
50. Buy used furniture - there is a surplus of it, and it is much cheaper than new furniture.